Thursday, January 13, 2011

2nd Thursday Heritage Challenge At Faith Sisters

Last month I began a heritage scrapbooking challenge at Faith Sisters and today I posted my 2nd portion. You can read about the challenge here and post your layouts here to earn a posting bonus. I've also copied and shared the information in this post below. I hope you will join me. I think it will be a lot of fun. Each month we will cover a different topic and you will have some ideas to include in your heritage albums, life story or life books or your every day family album. If you have an idea of a topic you would like me to cover, please comment or send me an email.




Welcome to our first heritage challenge of 2011.  When we think of the New Year, we often think of change. Most change in our lives occurs moment by moment and we don’t even think about it.  Or we are doing busy experiencing the change to stop and write down what we fell at the time.  It may seem obvious, but documenting the change in your life, your family’s life or your ancestors, could tell a lot about you as people.


This layout is the opening page in my Grandmother’s life book. Most of her grandchildren only knew her as a white haired “little old lady”. I wanted to show more than that – the incorrigible toddler, the bright student, the young woman in love, the new mother, the widow, the teacher, the woman of God and so much more. It was really eye opening for me to see her life unfold on one layout. This layout demonstrates change that occurs on an ongoing basis for everyone.


Change is inevitable, or so “they” say and sometimes the changes are big or life changing. Some experiences in our life, define who we are as person, send us off in another direction or confirm that we are right where we should be. They challenge us, grieve us, bring joy and stretch us in negative and positive ways.

Try to think of ways you or your family member have changed or experiences that have changed you. Here is a partial list:



Salvation/Choosing to walk with God

Health/Illness Changes/Disease/Surviving Cancer

Tragedy

A National Experience (e.g. The Great Depression, 9/11)

Political changes and events

Education

Career Changes or Job loss

Losing a Child or Other Loved One

Moving to Another Country, State, Province or City

Missionary Adventures

Marriage/Divorce/Widowhood

Abuse

Adoption



I’m sure you can come up with more. This is just a basic list of things that change or can change us through the course of our lives. My Grandparents lived through The Great Depression of the 1930s and this shaped who they were as people and their attitude towards things in general. But you wouldn’t know this just looking through a photo album would you? Photos are wonderful and art is beautiful, but sometimes we are left with more questions than answers. It is our job as family historians to document some of these things. Don’t forget the “story” in His”story”!




This layout doesn’t have a lot of journaling because some things I just don’t want to share with the whole Internet Scrapbooking Community! But it talks about the changes that occurred from the starry eyed bride to the comfortable and trusty love I share with my Husband now, 12 years later. The photos, one on my wedding day and one on my 12th wedding anniversary, show that to me, but maybe others can’t see that. So, this page reflects those feelings.




I hope you’ll join me in this challenge. It’s such a broad topic, you will be sure to find something to scrap and journal about. Everyone who posts in the gallery challenge section  here and then lets me know here in the forum before the next challenge on Thursday, February 10, 2011, will receive the following word art as a posting bonus:




Thank you for participating.  I look forward to seeing your layouts!

No comments: